Beach Medical Weight Loss

7 Tips for Shedding the Quarantine 15

Are your clothes fitting tighter after months of staying home during the coronavirus pandemic? It hasn’t been easy to maintain healthy routines with so many life disruptions, and many of us have found ourselves stress eating more and exercising less than usual. Luckily, it doesn’t take much to get back to your healthy habits! These strategies will help you slim down, shape up, and start feeling like yourself again.

Follow the 80/20 rule

Forget fad diets and eating nothing but salad. The best diet is the one you can maintain. That’s why Beach Medical Weight Loss loves the 80/20 rule of clean eating. This ultra-simple rule says that 80% of your nutrition each day should come from clean, healthy foods and the other 20% is for whatever you want! That way, you can indulge in cravings while still staying on track toward your weight loss goals.

Compile healthy go-to recipes

Eating clean is easier when you have a repertoire of recipes to turn to. The best go-to recipes are ones that use ingredients that are always in your pantry, like beans, grains, and frozen vegetables. For example, you can whip up a delicious and low-calorie stew using pantry ingredients or make creative quesadillas with beans and whatever vegetables you have on hand.

Lay off of the cocktail hours

People are drinking more alcohol during the pandemic. Not only is this bad for your waistline, but it’s also harmful to your overall health too. If you find yourself drinking due to boredom, pick up a new at-home hobby or video chat with a friend instead. If your increased alcohol consumption is due to stress or anxiety, try yoga, meditation, and deep breathing techniques — and talk to a professional if you’re struggling to cut back.

Go to bed on time

Drinking less also helps you get a good night’s sleep, something you may desperately need if you’re experiencing late nights and fragmented sleep like so many people during the pandemic. Since quality sleep is key for metabolism, not to mention immune health, getting back to your regular bedtime is a crucial step toward feeling better after COVID-19.

Get your heart rate up with HIIT

Home exercise equipment may be sold out everywhere, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a good workout at home. High-intensity interval training, more commonly known as HIIT, requires little to no equipment and can be done anywhere, even in your tiny apartment living room (just opt for low-impact HIIT for the downstairs neighbor’s sake!). And since HIIT workouts are short, often under 30 minutes, you can squeeze one in even when your motivation is low.

Commit to a (virtual) workout class

Do you get bored of working out solo? To mix things up and build accountability into your workout regimen, sign up for a virtual fitness class. You can find online workout classes from local fitness studios or popular studios like Orangetheory, CorePower Yoga, and Planet Fitness.

Let the pros lend a hand

If you’re struggling to regain your healthy habits while stuck at home, don’t sweat it! There are lots of professionals who can help you achieve your health and weight loss goals even during the pandemic. You can use online job boards to connect virtually with a freelance dietitian to create a healthy meal plan or a private yoga instructor or personal trainer to lead one-on-one virtual classes. While you might be stuck at home, you’re far from alone!

Just because you’re stuck at home doesn’t mean you have to be stuck in a rut. If you’re gaining weight and feeling uncomfortable in your skin, take control of your health! With little changes like these, you’ll be shedding pounds and feeling confident again in no time.